Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-08-2019, 09:09 PM

hankd is on a distinguished road

hankd is on a distinguished road
ecu water damage

hello
i was out four wheeling my 2005 v8 sr5 with a weekend group and ended up stuck in some water about 2 feet deep for 20 minutes. some water entered the cabin, but i didn't think it was too bad. the drivers floor got wet and the floor mat got wet, but not enough water to make the mat float off the floor or anything. of course i understand it's not advised to drive through water like that. it didn't seem like much water although i didn't expect to get stuck in it for so long.

anyway i made the way through the rest of my run and home at the end of the day. even took the car out a few hours later to the self serve car wash. in the middle of the night i was awakened by the alarm going off, which i silenced with the fob. i tried to start it this morning and the car would turn on but not turn over. no click nothing. battery also became drained and i did try a few times to boost it today to no avail. a friend who is more mechanically inclined than me came over with a odb scanner and he could not get my 4runner to communicate with it.

i searched the forum for a while and found some people with very similar symptoms who said their ecu became fried when this happened. although the ecu is located behind the dash and out of the water's way, there is a wiring junction near the driver's kick panel (near the foot rest) which is vulnerable to getting wet, and when it gets wet it sends a bad signal to the ecu and fries it. this area was wet so it stood to reason. although i'm not sure why the battery drained or if the car alarm going off last night has something to do with this.

so i took a chance and ordered a new ecu since it was only about a hundred bucks on ebay part 89661-35A50. i just have a few questions about the new-to-me ecu when it arrives.
1) does it swap straight in?
2) do i need to have the dealer reprogram it so that my keys work?
3) can a local independent shop reprogram it

any other insights would be helpful. thanks for reading.
hankd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote