View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 12:30 AM

aelarson will become famous soon enough

aelarson will become famous soon enough
I was seriously considering this 6112 coil as a lift option, but I remembered that Dobinsons had canceled their project for a 600lb 14x3 coil on the stock TRD Pro strut.

I wanted to do some more research, because the last thing I want to do is destroy a perfectly good shock for no reason. After digging through the Dobinsons thread, I found out why they canceled the project. All quotes are from Dobinsons Mike, a well known suspension guru here on the forums.

Post #1071: "Just because we can make a taller and stronger coil for these struts doesn't mean we should, so we have to test the product, and also watch the market and see the demand. The 1" lifted coil is a very minor upgrade, but the 2" doesn't leave a lot of down travel in the struts, and historically, struts left riding with minimal down travel end up topping out repeatedly until the top seal blows."

Post #1140: "They're not even recommending any coil [Bilstien] other than stock on their struts. Look here: Broken Bilstein 5100 FrontS I know they're 5100's and not Pro/6112 Struts, but still."

Post #1244:"We didn't get that far to check the down travel. I don't think the struts are strong enough to handle the extra lift."

There were a couple more quotes that I lost in the frenzy of open tabs. Whoops!

I don't think Dobinsons spent a ton of time doing in field testing (a few months on a couple vehicles according to the thread) with the 14x3 HD coil, but they are suspension experts, so I take their word. However, nothing beats testing the real deal. I'd love to hear how everyone's shocks are doing after several thousand miles of testing.

At the moment, I think I am going to hold off on the 6112 14x3 coils due to the comments made by Dobinsons, but I would love to be proven wrong by folks actually running this setup!
aelarson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote