View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 10:49 AM

john123drury is on a distinguished road

john123drury is on a distinguished road
Intermittent JOLT when coming to a stop

Hey gang - 2005 4Runner SR5. All Stock. 175K Really annoying and intermittent issue that I can't figure out.

Earlier in the year I was experiencing a slight but noticeable shudder when accelerating at slow speeds around the 20 - 30 MPH mark. It was only on acceleration. Not coasting or braking. I remember experiencing something similar years ago, and the suggestion was to drain and refill the transmission oil. 3 years ago that solved the problem. Shudder disappeared. So thinking it was a similar issue, I drained it again (over the course of 3 months, 1.5 quarts at a time until completely recycled with new Trans fluid; Toyota genuine oil).

As of today, the shudder I felt when I first started this months ago has gone away. But a NEW issue has surfaced and I don't know if it's related.

When coming to hard stop from a generally fast speed (not burning rubber or excessive braking; just braking a little harder than normal to slow the car down relatively quickly), the car will JOLT within a few seconds after stopping. Now this doesn't always happen. and I'd say 80% of the time it's fine. But every so often at the exact moment when I stop, within 2-4 seconds AFTER stopping from a relatively hard brake, I feel a jolt...like it's finishing the last downshift back to 1st gear but in a very hard way. Sometimes it's strong enough to literally push the car forward an inch or two.

I can't think of any other way to describe what's happening. I don't know if it's Transmission related or not. But it certainly feels like something connected to the drivetrain is not keeping up with the vehicle's momentum.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
john123drury is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote