Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-14-2019, 12:34 PM

Redsoxx1918 is a jewel in the rough Redsoxx1918 is a jewel in the rough Redsoxx1918 is a jewel in the rough Redsoxx1918 is a jewel in the rough

Redsoxx1918 is a jewel in the rough Redsoxx1918 is a jewel in the rough Redsoxx1918 is a jewel in the rough Redsoxx1918 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtvt View Post
You don't know what you're talking about. I don't mean it as an insult, just pointing out that this is their target audience - people who don't understand electronic systems and want something plug-n-play, and another "mod" in their sig line.

Toyota has been doing different "modes" for 30+ years, cable and DBW applications, so modern or not, vehicle age is irrelevant. It also doesn't matter if the vehicle is DBW because in an actual performance enhancing OEM driving mode, the manufacturer isn't just turning the accelerator into an on/off button, they're changing shift points and patterns, injector pulse width, ignition timing, etc.

On my 21 yo GS400, the "mode" button is called the "electronically controlled transmission pattern select switch". When engaged it hold gears longer eliminating jerky grabs that wear your clutches, if you let off and then re-accelerate. The Sprint Booster has the opposite effect, the car shifts like it always does and then when you give it a little gas your car reads it as you flooring it so slams into a lower gear, toasting that clutch. In a well-designed OEM system sport mode acceleration vs normal mode acceleration feels completely different in the actual drivetrain, it's not at all like I'm just stomping the pedal a little quicker.

This is a sales pitch from SB's own site, from a vendor looking for those sweet marketing $$$ - "We were spinning the tires now without meaning to! And the transmission would downshift much sooner when we leaned into the throttle, adding to the overall improved responsiveness."

- https://www.sprintboostersales.com/J...ter-Review.cfm

^That's a good thing? When I don't want to spin the tires...I don't want to spin the tires! I also hate when my tranny downshifts constantly, in fact if there was one mod I could do to my GX it'd be a trans pressure gauge that tells how close you are to shift points so I could back off to maintain a gear rather than have the repeated upshifts and downshifts.

SB is a gimmick. It's a ghetto-fab knockoff of an OEM system at a premium price, for people who should really just learn to use the throttle they have.

Lol...so what you’re saying is that you haven’t used a sprint booster and that you have no experience to base your assumptions on. I know perfectly well what I’m talking about and I fully understand drive by wire systems.

You can not duplicate what the sprint booster or pedal commander does by simply flooring the vehicle. It does not just increase throttle input but also increases throttle response, thereby eliminating the lag that has been programmed in. It creates a much more drivable and responsive driving experience. Try one first before you give a review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Redsoxx1918 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote