View Single Post
Old 04-17-2019, 09:42 PM

sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of

sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMonkey View Post
It sounds like you are talking about filling them with a bunch of little plastic pellets? Questionable practice anyway, but never heard of them in bead locks. Might not make too many friends if they poured out from a torn sidewall.

Suppose you could try balancing them best you can, but that would be like waxing your car before your first crack up derby. It doesn't compute.

Yes you can go 75mph no problem and you can abuse them at that speed.

Sounds like you are after style points, which we all are. It's all good. I don't have nearly the experience on the trails as much as I do with desert racing. Wheels of course are big deal style wise, and desert racers have a strict set of style rules. The black sock flat billers size up everyone and if you have a set of bead locks on a street truck that does not need them, they won't be your friend. That 'need' will be sized up by not only the competency and fabrication of the rest of the build, but also whether it's obvious that it truly gets used in way that bead locks are needed.

These same guys that adhere to strict style rules within their tribe, most of them run faux bead locks on their street trucks. But to be cool, you need to get the right ones. The bead lock bolts should actually look real, and the manufacturers that also make real bead locks are the de facto choice. Just don't get those off brand wheels that too few bolts around the rim. Methods are a safe choice as far as tribal style.

I raced Baja for 10 years and have destroyed countless bead locks. Still occasion BITD class 10. Wheel choice tends to become more a function of strength and reliability. Sure, I care about stye for my 4runner, and even if I pursue much much more serious trails and wear black socks and a flat bill, it's hard to imagine I would ever need real bead locks. Mad respect to the fellas that need and use them on the trail.
right, I mean I don't really need much. I could ride my bike everywhere so... the question of need is really subjective IMO.

I don't really care about being judged. fooling around offroad is about fun and recreation for me. I don't need to prove I can break my truck or my body beating the crap out stuff. function over form always where it counts. respect for running the Baja that is some hard core stuff. now... if you told me you did in the stock VW beetle class... those dudes are hardcore.

I do wheel offroad but I'm not into running any races. I like to run lower pressures but I really don't want to pop a bead. I know running bead locks would give me the piece of mind. In the end I just went with old school steel pizza cutter. I know a couple of people with dedicated trail rigs who run home brew bead locks. but... they don't drive down the road.

sleepydad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote