View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 09:33 PM

JRZEE2000TR4LTD will become famous soon enough JRZEE2000TR4LTD will become famous soon enough

JRZEE2000TR4LTD will become famous soon enough JRZEE2000TR4LTD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack10 View Post
Getting around to figuring this out...

While driving the truck has a slight tendency to track right, so this led to me to think alignment was off. Under hard brake it pulls quite a bit to the right. After reading the various similar problem threads I took a harder look at the brakes.

All tires inflated to 40PSI as per the tire specs.

Temp gun probably best troubleshooting tool for this, anyone else having this problem should take one on a test drive and do a few passes and record the results.

In doing the temp based tests, after driving for a couple miles, it didn't appear the left or right fronts had any significant difference maybe a couple degrees higher on left. Rears fine. Pulling the parking brake while driving slowed the truck evenly, no pull to either side.

What was suspect is the temp of the left side after heavy braking. It would be about 100 degrees C while the right about 50-75C. But pulling hard to right..

I pulled the right caliper today and did a full rebuild, greased sliders, bled the system, but problem persisted after a quick test drive. The caliper did have rust in the cylinders and it appeared that the outer pistons were not working well at all. After all that seems like I should have started with the left instead..

So does the extreme heat buildup of left side mean that some pressure is being applied, but not alot, causing a quick ramp up in the temp as the pads drag and the other side does the actual braking? Really hoping that is the case and I will be able to rebuild that one tomorrow. Seems logical but these problems really are multi-faceted...

Have new LBJs (OEM), UBJs, tie rod ends and sway bar end links, swaybar bushings about 20k miles ago so don't suspect those and the high heat of the left caliper rules those out. There is also no rattling, clunking or shaking of the steering wheel.

Any other thoughts on this one?
I've had 2 dragging calipers on my 1st truck. Put 199s on my second. Rebuilt both with OEM kits and pistons. Lightly honed the piston bores. The passenger side caliper started to drag. Took it apart and clean it all up. Started to drag again about 6 months later. Had enough and just replaced the caliper. I HATE working on thing twice, let alone 3x.
WHITE/SILVER 1999 4runner Limited l Rear Locker l Tundra/890 coils | 5100 Bilsteins all around | Sonoran Steel Bumpstops l 199 mm Tundra brake upgrade | SCS Matte Gray Ray10 Rims | 275 70 17 BFG KO2 tires | LR UCAs | EIMKEITH panhard brackets | LED interior upgrade l Rear LED tailights l Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS Alpine Type "R" speakers NVX JAD800.4 Class D Amp Kenwood Under seat Subwoofer l Front window tint 20% l Weathertech window visors and floormats l OutGear Solutions Full Length roofrack l Morimoto 40" LED lightbar
JRZEE2000TR4LTD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote