Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 02:08 PM

Mark_BC has a spectacular aura about Mark_BC has a spectacular aura about

Mark_BC has a spectacular aura about Mark_BC has a spectacular aura about
So I checked compression on the truck I used to call Snowy, the dark green one that lives at my mom's house. But I since got a white one so I can't call Snowy Snowy anymore. She will hereafter be named Sea because she lives close to the ocean. The new white one will now be known as Snowy and of course, Sandy will stay as Sandy. I could never rename you, Sandy! You're a legend after all that Baja sand you've been through. Anyone know how to rename threads since the title is now wrong????!!!!

Anyways, I suspected a bad head gasket because it went through at least three overheating events where the needle was way up at the top. One of those was from the rear heater lines rusting out and draining all the coolant. The other two were from going up a steep mountain slowly with a bad fan clutch so there wasn't enough cooling. The exhaust looks kind of white and smells sweet. And the oil cap has cream under it.

But I since realised that most vehicles of that era have stinky exhaust, probably because the cats are old. And the white exhaust could be from old gas with water in it. And the cream under the oil cap could be from taking short trips.

The results were 210 and 215 psi across the board. So she's good!!! I have no blown head gaskets! Talk about paranoia man. Amazing that it's still so good after overheating like that.

So now she needs some new LBJ's, some rear tail lights, a new windshield, and probably a new steering rack guide, new fan clutch, oil change, PCV valve, change power steering fluid, new shocks, yadda yadda yadda the usual stuff, and she'll be ready to go!!

Plus I'll work on the cosmetic things like replacing the pieces of rust hanging on the front and back that were once called bumpers, and clean the paint up.

I'll also get the new rear end cleaned up and painted and ready to swap in since the one in there now rusted out and I had to JB weld the pumpkin cover.

Mark_BC's 2000 Limited Salvage Build

Determined to keep them from becoming parts trucks. Yes, even the one I just picked up as a parts truck...

Last edited by Mark_BC; 04-20-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Mark_BC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote