View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 05:25 PM

jcage89 will become famous soon enough jcage89 will become famous soon enough

jcage89 will become famous soon enough jcage89 will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Cerium Oxide Windshield Polishing... Does it work for pitting?

Wondering if anyone here has used Cerium Oxide for slight scratches or even minor pitting on the 4runner windshield? My 9 months of rock free luck ran out this week when your typical muddy rock loaded semi which I was locked to the rear right of on freeway decided to swerve slightly off the left lane into shoulder rubbish and shake loose a nice flying rock at my window.

So the damage is very minimal with just an inch worth of minor scrape line and a few minor pits where rock hit but its right in front of my nose while driving and obviously no longer transparent so looks like perpetual bug splattered there or something. This will drive me bonkers because impossible to ignore it right now. My insurance will replace the window because it is in line of sight and therefore possible safety issue, but I'm always reluctant to have this done because I get to argue about them using OE glass and then you play roulette on the quality of the install job depending on who is working that day.

SO I did some searching and found that the only possible way to "polish" a window is with compound made from Cerium Oxide which gets a wide variety of reported results ( I suspect based on proficiency of the user) from totally eliminating slight scrapes like wiper blade scratches and even minor pitting to "It doesn't work at all". For less than $25 on Amazon I can get the supplies I don't already have and watched YouTube on method for mixing the compound and polishing the area while keeping it lubricated. I'm probably gonna do it but also curious if anyone here has tried in similar circumstances. If it doesn't work I just get the window replaced, but I suppose not a lot of $$$ or Effort to check it out.

BTW - Why can't those damn semi's cover their loads like the rest of the world legally has to do???? Sometimes I imagine the drivers of those rigs actually relish the cosmetic carnage they bring upon other motorists.

Cheers - JC
Attached Images
Cerium Oxide Windshield Polishing... Does it work for pitting?-20190420_142008-jpg