Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-24-2019, 09:54 PM

Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future

Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future Bluesky 07 has a brilliant future
My previous phone mount was in the 12V socket down on the console. Tired of having to look down there, and inspired by a fabricated metal phone mount posted by @NinjaOne (Thanks!), I made one out of this sheet aluminum from Home Depot. Then I added this magnetic mount from Walmart.

The first step was cutting several test templates from manila folders to get the fit right and figure out where the bends needed to be. I drilled holes and attached it to the side of the HU with the bolts that attach the side trim then ran it up and over to the center of the HU, then out/up/out to form the "shelf" on which the phone mount sits.

The aluminum used is strong enough for the purpose but thin enough to be cut with tin snips and shaped without needing special tools. Some stick on rubber padding isolates it from the metal on the HU casing.

I used strips of this Scotch fastener tape (love that stuff!) on the top of the molding/back of the up part of the metal to strengthen the shelf and ended up also adding a small L-brace underneath the shelf. That eliminated a tiny bit of jiggle that probably wouldn't bother 99% of the world's population but it did me. Used a leftover plastic piece from a shelf or some such.

It's rock-solid now, having been accidentally proven off the pavement today when I impulsively turned into a power line road where the gate was open and there was no signage about keeping out or trespassing. Expected a glorified fire road but holy hell, it was rough and rutted such that I almost got stuck. But the Phone stayed right in place and wasn't bouncing at all!

It's not perfect since it blocks a bit of the HU screen when in portrait mode, but that's a small tradeoff for the overall convenience of having it at eye level.

Last edited by Bluesky 07; 05-02-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Bluesky 07 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote