View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 12:51 PM

JAXJeremy has a spectacular aura about JAXJeremy has a spectacular aura about JAXJeremy has a spectacular aura about

JAXJeremy has a spectacular aura about JAXJeremy has a spectacular aura about JAXJeremy has a spectacular aura about
Question about steering input, 2018 SR5

Noticed that my 4R requires what I would call additional steering input (small adjustments in moving the steering wheel either left or right) to keep it tracking straight, more so than my other vehicles.

Planning to have the alignment checked when it comes due for the first oil change, but I was curious if anyone else experiences this. Did a google search and found a couple of things about the steering not returning to center. For example..

The rack & pinion or steering does not return to a "home" position. Simply put, if you turn around a corner, the steering wheel does not easily return to "straight". if you are driving down a straight path and turn the steering even one degree, let go of the wheel, it will continue that path until the vehicle runs off of the road. This car has 2100 miles on it. The dealer has checked the camber, the tow, the numbers on the electronic actuated rack & pinon. The service manager drove the car and agreed it was not correct; however it was "in the limits" of Toyota specifications. He said he drove other new vehicles and they react the same. If you drive down any straight away, you have to constantly be correcting how the car steers. There is no home position which is unlike any vehicle I have driven. I think an accident is waiting to happen and it looks like Toyota is not willing to admit they have a problem.

I have don't have a lift or other suspension modification and my 4R has less than 7K on the clock..was thinking it might be the tires, but that's doubtful. Thoughts?