View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 01:14 PM

sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of

sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJon View Post
Thanks. I’m wondering if the area under my intake manifold is just a lake of coolant at this point and the water bypass tube is leaking and filling up the space under the manifold. Prior to doing the valve covers, I replaced the heater core and as part of that process I flushed the system 2x with distillled water, then 2x with 50/50 Toyota red and then filled again. The PO had used green and I wanted all that out. Maybe during that process I dislodged some sludge that was sealing a leak?

Should I plan to replace the bypass pipe or just reseal it?
the bypass pipe should be fine unless it's rusted and compromised. I did a new one and re-used one at one point. just depends on how much cleaning you want to do? it's kind of hard spot to get at and it's not much fun to re-seal it. just make sure your ready and do a practice run without the FIP just to make sure you have the process down. once the FIP is on it's go time and you want it to go smooth. you will see what I mean if you decide to re-seal it. it's fiddly to get it into that spot.

one other thing... if your going to go down that far and take the lower intake off. you might as well replace the knock sensor wire harness. it get really brittle after 20 years and if you don't replace it while you have the lower intake off your at risk of messing it up and then having to re-do everything you just did.

Toyota 5VZ-FE/3.4L OEM Knock Sensor Wire 82219-34010

I have tried feld pro gaskets and I had bad luck with them on the lower intake one time. I only do OEM toyota gaskets now for lower intake. worth it IMO. feld pro are good and I know some people swear by them but they are not OEM quality.

I'm not saying you have to do it but... it's a really really good idea.

Last edited by sleepydad; 05-04-2019 at 01:23 PM.
sleepydad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote