View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 05:32 PM

Hollywood1 is on a distinguished road

Hollywood1 is on a distinguished road
UPDATE SOLVED: Infamous Cel, even with new Dealer Gas Cap

My Gf’s 2002 4Runner has the check engine light with code P0442.
This is not the first time. I have since replaced the Purge Valve (Denso), a few cracked Vacuum hoses, and the Fuel Cap (Duralast, then Toyota Dealer.

2nd. Time the code went on I checked Purge valve which is working fine.
Change the Autozone Gas cap to Toyota Dealer Cap. Light came on again.

3rd. Time Cel. Took me awhile to do a full emissions Smoke Test but I took it to my friends shop and we lifted on the lift. I removed the spare tire to check the full system with charcoal canister in the rear.
Could not find any leaks in the lines or Canister.
But when we took the 4Runner down from the lift, we noticed all the smoke coming from gas cap door. Bad Gas Cap.

The leaky Gas Cap was only 3 months old from Toyota Dealer, Still Warrantied.
Dealer Changed owners since but honored the warranty and gave me a new gas cap which looked the same as the old one.

Cel went on again and I’m assuming it’s the gas cap again.
The O-ring on the Dealer Cap is not a solid Rubber Ring, it has a groove in it facing outwards.

Is there any other aftermarket caps that you guys have had success with?
Did Dealer go cheap on their products and change the original part design?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Hollywood1; 12-23-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Hollywood1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote