Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 11:37 PM
Elite Member

Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute
Elite Member

Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipter View Post
This is an interesting thread. I have not done any off roading yet, as my 4runner is not ready. I had no idea of all the equipment needed to carry. That's like 400 lbs of recovery and repair gear.

A prius is looking better all the time.
It kinda depends on what you're doing and where you're going. Most of the stuff isn't necessary for daily driver duty. I remove most of mine for my drive to work. But some of it is just easier to leave in place than move in and out. If you're going to more remote places - some of these things are safety items, other ones are mostly just handy to have. I've literally never broken anything on my 5th gen out on a trail. And it's never broken down. The only emergency thing I've used on my own vehicle was the jumper battery pack. But I have broken lots of stuff on other vehicles.

For starting out - I'd suggest tagging along with someone who's done it a lot before and likely has all the tools. You really don't need a full set in every vehicle. For me it's mostly stuff I carry because I go out alone a lot.

If you ever go with an offroad club - they generally will have a minimum set of stuff you'll need that includes some sort of radio that everyone will use to talk to each other, a first aid kit, tow strap, and fire extinguisher. Less than $100 will get you all of that stuff. Mostly just basic safety stuff and a way to talk to people in other vehicles so a group of vehicles can proceed at a reasonable pace. Mostly CBs are still used. If I'm leading a group I prefer to be on CB with most people and HAM with the person in the back so we can have our own discussion off the main channel.

A good first aid kit is the one thing that is worth having. Especially if you're spending time in the back country or you like to mountain bike, rock climb, or other outdoor activity. It could save a life - even if it's not yours. Bad things can happen and usually are the result of someone making bad decisions. I've been around plenty of bad situations and I've made more than enough bad decisions myself. You can make your own or buy some pretty good prepackaged ones.

As for tools - I think you could buy a basic set of wrenches, some duct tape, water, maybe just a bag of granola bars, a bic lighter, pocket knife, and you could be pretty good for most places without spending a lot of $. If you are reasonably handy you could survive for quite a few days on just that set of stuff in most places in most conditions.
Jetboy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote