View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 03:19 PM

pinemind will become famous soon enough

pinemind will become famous soon enough
Some small side projects I took on when I was waiting for some parts to come in, so I moved to the interior. The ends of the front seatbelts that bolt to the floor were severely rusted. I took my time with a Dremel and removed all the rust. The I painstakingly masked, primed and painted them the closest brown I could find. This took a long time since I had to rotate and hold the metal piece around the sewn loop of the seatbelt, paint, wait to dry, repeat. I found some plastic cup washers so I'm hoping to use those to prevent damage from the bolt as those metal pieces are free to move and could easily chip the paint. We'll see how it ends up working in the long run:

Part of my non-OEM work will be soundproofing. I've never done this before, so I figured I would start with the doors since those results are easily noticed and it's a small area to work with. I'm going to go with sound deadener (chose Noico 80 mil as it was cost effective compared to Dynamat). I may be following this up with some closed-cell foam to do the actual sound suppression in the doors, but haven't done that yet. Elsewhere (quarters, firewall, floor) I will be laying the same sound deadener plus a mass-loaded-vinyl product to really cut down the noise. In the passenger door, I also noticed the bar connecting the handle(s) to the latch always had a rattle. So I found some old vacuum tubing, and put some of the sound deadener behind it as well. The doors shut like a Lexus now and no rattling at all at any speed. Even locking the door has an audible difference. Pretty cool and well worth the 4 hours or so of cleaning, measuring, cutting and contorting my arms .

Lastly, I installed some Polk 4" speakers. Because of the asinine "4T" sizing that only Toyota used in the 80's and 90's, normal 4" speakers don't drop right in. Opposite metal clips need to be broken off, and the remainder need to be bent. It's still a bit of a stretch as I barely have the screws grabbing metal, but it's in there. I have a stock 80's Toyota OEM cassette player I got as well, so they currently sound not much better than stock given the poor amperage from that head unit. I am looking into a small amplifier with speaker level inputs so I can get cleaner power to those speakers yet retain the OEM cassette player. I just can't put the volume up too high right now unfortunately. Below is how the 4" aftermarket speaker fits (or doesn't fit) before modification. Don't have an after picture but will get one and update.

That's my update through my backlog for the day. I tried to group a few interior mods together to keep some sort of cohesiveness to these posts.
pinemind is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote