View Single Post
Old 05-19-2019, 12:35 PM
Elite Member

mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute
Elite Member

mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute
190-200 degrees on flat ground and not towing is high. Normally you would only see those kind of temps if you're climbing a grade. If you're also monitoring your coolant temp, what temps are your running?

Start with the obvious and check your fluid level and make sure that's good. Since it's pretty common that people don't know the correct way to check their automatic transmission fluid level, I'm going to cover that and I don't mean any disrespect. Are you checking the fluid on level ground, engine running and the shifter in Park? At a normal operating temp of 158-176 (according to the FSM) your level should be in the hot range. If you're checking it cold, then you should expect the level in the cold range on the dipstick. I prefer to confirm the correct level when the trans is hot because this seems to be a more accurate reading.

If you're fluid level is good, and you're still experiencing the symptoms you're describing, I would suggest you stop driving it. Tow it to the nearest town and rent a U-haul and trailer and get it home where you can inspect things further. Your trans might be toast already, but if it isn't, continuing to drive it will put the last nail in the coffin and then you'll be stuck on the road or the trail and looking at an expensive and labor intensive replacement.

Last edited by mtbtim; 05-19-2019 at 12:39 PM.
mtbtim is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote