Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 01:58 AM

sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold

sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold sn_85 is a splendid one to behold
I have the Rigd Ultraswing along with Rago plate and Front Runner table. I got in on the pre-production run when it was $825 shipped. It arrived a little scuffed up so a quick email to Luke and they quickly took care of me.

I wasn't sure if I was ready for a full rear bumper replacement so I went with the Rigd Ultraswing. Yes there are pro's and con's to each but ultimately a hitch mounted tire swing would accomplish what I wanted, bring the spare tire out from the bottom and provide a mounting system for accessories (in this case a drop down table). And if I decided that either I didn't like it and wanted to go back to stock or go full rear bumper then it's as simple as removing it and selling it. It's easy to reverse whereas if you go full rear bumper then that's more of a permanent decision.

A few impressions on the Rigd Ultraswing itself. Very high quality part. The overall construction is excellent, the hinge mechanism is nice and strong and the same as what rear bumper replacements use, overall it's a well thought out and designed hitch mounted tire solution. I like the fact that it has two hitches on the unit itself, one as an extension to the oem part and one on the swing out itself. The hitch is two rated at 10,000lbs so more than what our 4Runners can even tow and the second swing out allows you to mount a bike rack and swing out a bike without having to take your bike off or fold down the rack. I took it off-roading on corrugated wash boards with whoops and dips and it hardly moves. There is a tiny bit of wobble and vibration but nothing bad.

The Rago panel was sort of PTIA to install and my least favorite part of it. Although I suppose this is more of an indictment on Rago than Rigd. But once it's installed it's done. I added the Front Runner fold down table and used the heck out of it this week while camping. One of my favorite parts about the way they designed the Ultraswing, the ability to basically add any accessory once you get the Rago panel.

Overall I like it a lot for what it is. It does block the rear view camera and I won't be doing a camera relocation until I decide I'll keep it for good, go full replacement, or go back to stock. For now it stays and I enjoy the fact that I simply added it on as accessory without gaining the weight of a full bumper, needing to add stronger rear springs, re-gear, or hack up the truck.

If all you need is a spare tire carrier than I'd look at the Detours of Maine one. It's cheaper, looks very high quality, and has better departure angle. If you want accessories and a swing out hitch then Ridg is the way to go. I wouldn't consider a Wilco at this point until they update their design or drop the price.
Attached Images
Rigid UltraSwing for 5th Gen 4Runner - Anyone using it?-img_20190516_170637-800x600-jpg  Rigid UltraSwing for 5th Gen 4Runner - Anyone using it?-img_20190516_170627-1512x2016-jpg  Rigid UltraSwing for 5th Gen 4Runner - Anyone using it?-img_20190516_170511-800x600-jpg  Rigid UltraSwing for 5th Gen 4Runner - Anyone using it?-img_20190516_170453-800x600-jpg  Rigid UltraSwing for 5th Gen 4Runner - Anyone using it?-img_20190516_170844-800x600-jpg 
2016 Nautical Blue Metallic Trail | SCS | Falken Wildpeak AT3/W | Icon CDCV | Heftyfab Front Bumper | 4x4 Labs Rear | Shrockworks Sliders | RCI Skids | Warn VR10S | OGE Dual Battery System | sPOD | Katzkin
2013 Blizzard Pearl LE 4WD - SOLD!!!
sn_85 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote