View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 09:51 AM

BCMUSA is on a distinguished road

BCMUSA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by borfoo3 View Post
What was your experience with it?
The engine/tranny combo was horrible. Really noisy engine and the transmission never knew what gear it wanted to be in. For example, my friend's 2018 TRD OR almost never wants to shift into 6th at highway speeds. We would be going 75 mph and the truck was still in 5th. He'd have to switch over to sport mode and manually shift it up, then go back to drive. And this was before and after he had it flashed by the dealership. My other friend's 17, he has to hit the ECT button and drive it with that on if he wants to get somewhat normal shifting. He's taken it in multiple times, no fix.

Also tons of reports of engine fuel injectors failing, transmission failing. I am sure these are small number in comparison to how many Tacos are pushed out, but I would still personally steer away for now. I wish I'd done my research.

I also believe this combo leads to a lot of the vibration issues people were complaining about.

As where in the 4runners case, I think it all comes from either alignment and/or balance and tires, a lot of the Tacoma's vibration issues come from the driveline which is a ***** to diagnose.

With my truck I had the "rumble strip" vibration. Literally every single time I would slow down and come to a stop, my truck felt like it was going over those safety strips you see on the side of the road. I was able to duplicate this at the dealership many times, and even the foreman himself came out and agreed that was not normal.

Also go to tacomaworld forums and under the 3rd gen section, there is a list of TSBs that have come out since 2016 on the new Tacos. Take a look at that list. It's massive.

Mine also had excessive wind noise, felt like my window was cracked open every time I was driving on the highway. Was embarrassing having friends/family in my truck with me.

They were never able to get it fixed, and I finally got tired and traded it in for the 4runner.

Last edited by BCMUSA; 05-23-2019 at 09:54 AM.
BCMUSA is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote