Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 05-28-2019, 05:53 PM

giro is on a distinguished road

giro is on a distinguished road
Like has been said, think about the usage, for safety, power, and speed.

We're in the mountains now, getting 300" of snow on an average year. I've never got stuck in my '92, and it does fairly well even going up and over 8900' at highway speeds. I don't worry about a little salt or digs in the winter, and feel great about it driving around town.

OTOH, without airbags it's a safety worry on the highway, though technically no worse than it used to be when no one had air bags. Without traction control, there was one time I fishtailed 5 times at the top of the mountain before recovering. Scary stuff that made me buy a 3rd get to at least have an airbag, but then that commute ended and I preferred the old 4runner. In our snowy area I've seen a suburban, subaru, and audi on their lids (along with a 4runner and 2 other cars, all in the first 2 weeks of wintertime commuting). Personally, I'm not as worried about the narrowness, nor too much about a side impact.

Mines only at 179k, with the V6 rebuild back at around 75k. I've owned it for 15 years and about 100k, and the only engine breakdown was the starter needing replacement. Otherwise it's been good too, replacing the rear window relay and motor, plus standard stuff like front shocks, battery, plugs, cap/rotor, wires, cat/muffler/pipe, and then the fan and a power steering line when the plastic fan exploded. And just had to replace both presumably original CV axles, after one inner and one outer boot went.

But I did just have a check engine light come on, hopefully just the O2 sensor.

All in all, they are very reliable. It's time to do a few more things, like timing belt, other belts and hoses, and plugs. And I just ordered replacement springs for it's saggy rear end. But overall, it has been great, with my only hesitation being on the safety features and it's age.
98 4runner SR5 4x4 V6 auto 136k locking rear diff -- SOLD (and heard it's been totaled)
giro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote