Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-03-2019, 01:51 PM

pinemind will become famous soon enough

pinemind will become famous soon enough
Okay, another backlog of updates. I moved last weekend so I wasn't able to get too much done that weekend. But the weekend prior to moving, for the first time in about 6 weeks, I actually put something back on the 4Runner instead of in constant dismantle mode. It felt good.

So I went to work on the front brakes and hubs. One of the things I didn't check when I bought it (as listed in my opening post) was that the front brakes were completely shot, all components. No brake upgrades here, just new stock calipers, rotors, pads and last mile hard brake lines. I also decided to rebuild the front hubs up to the backing plate. This meant all new hardware for the spindle (nuts, washers, lock washers), bearings, races, and I even ponied up for brand new OEM Toyota hub bodies (not the Aisin locking hubs, the actual steel hub bodies). Expensive, but they were rust pitted bad even after sandblasting. I also bought brand new Aisin hubs for each side. I thought about restoring the originals, but the plastics were all chewed up, metal corroded and since I was going this far, might as well just do it all. I also spent time chipping off what I believe is 35 years of dried grease and dirt off the backside of the backing plate and knuckle, awful.

Before the cleaning

Sprayed some Rustoleum Rust Convertor while I was there just because.

New hub, new Toyota wheel studs (NAPA's were impossible to get in), new rotor

My first time ever packing bearings and setting races. Used a bearing/race driver kit from Harbor Freight, worked really well.

After the torque-down procedure for the spindle nuts. Followed Roger Brown's method on 4crawler.com

All assembled with new hub studs, cone washers, nuts and Aisin hubs.

Aftermarket wheels on, lookin' good until I can find OEM wheels.
pinemind is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote