Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 02:02 AM

ac1617 will become famous soon enough ac1617 will become famous soon enough

ac1617 will become famous soon enough ac1617 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
Thats false, brother. The 4th gen, with the center dif unlocked is absolutely AWD. Thats one big reason I like the 4th gen's 4wd system over the 5th gens; a torsen center diff! Generally speaking you could go any speed in 4wd in the 4th gen with the center dif unlocked, and do any type of driving on any type of surface.

The 5th gen, you can technically drive any speed as well, but you're limited to turns at about 30-35+mph. Any turns slower than that misalign the front and rear wheels enough that it causes binding in the diffs due to differing wheel speeds.

I learned the hard way that part time 4wd in the 5th gen doesn't mean you can switch between 2 and 4hi whenever like I was used to in the 4th gen. And that 55mph number you're thinking of is engaging the 4wd system, and i think it's 60mph. If you try to engage it above 60, the system just beeps at you. You slow to 59, engage it, and then continue on your merry way.

To OP, yeah, try shifting into neutral and tapping the brake a few times, or rolling forward a bit. I'd even take it on a drive and leave the switch in 2hi and wait for it to switch. I once couldn't get 4lo to engage and I kept rapidly swtiching it between 4hi and lo, and then the transfer case finally broke free and engaged.
This is correct. I don't think many users understand the difference between the transfer cases between different generations of 4runners and the models within that generation. 4th gens all have torsens with the V6 being able to select 2wd and 4wd unlocked. If OP is stuck in 4wd unlocked there is no speed limit in which he can drive in this mode.
ac1617 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote