View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 10:18 PM

ckowalc is on a distinguished road

ckowalc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-bod View Post
If anyone is still looking and really wants to keep the factory radio, this worked for me.

1) Remove radio. Be careful not to break the dash bezel (experience).
2) Disassemble radio down to its component level: the face plate, front circuit board, CD player, cassette deck, main circuit board, housing. Sorry I didn't take good pictures of this part. You'll need a small nut driver. Take your time. The front board simply pulls away from the main board. The tape deck has a ribbon cable that will come loose. The CD fits into a raised connector on the main board.
3) On the main board, there was a component that had a broken solder joint (see pics). I re-soldered that connection circled in red which fixed the problem.

The broken solder joint was extremely hard to find. Only after being suspicious of this part was I able to confirm the broken joint by placing it under a microscope and gently lifting it with a small pic to see that it was in fact broken.

I have no idea if this is the common failure point of this vintage radio, but it was for mine. Good luck!
I dont ever post but I felt obligated to say that I resoldered the component shown in the post above and it fixed my issue with the backlight of the radio not working.

Finally someone that answers the question rather than saying "just get a new headunit". Props to you sir.

Last edited by ckowalc; 06-05-2019 at 10:20 PM.
ckowalc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote