View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 12:35 PM

pinemind will become famous soon enough

pinemind will become famous soon enough
Another lagging update but better late than never. Two weekends ago I finally got to the fixing the crux of the oil leak in the front main seal. Ordered a new OEM Aisin oil pump, front main seal, oil pump hardware/bolts, harmonic balancer (didn't want to deal with the grooving issue going forward), new A/C pulley, pulley bolts, and crank bolt. While I was ready to do the starter bump with the breaker bar to get the crank bolt off, I put my new shorty Milwaukee impact wrench to work and it made short work of removing the bolt. I did have the radiator out but I think it still may have fit in there, given how compact this thing is. Side note, this impact wrench, while expensive, has been the single greatest tool purchase I've made thus far, given how old and rusty some of these various bolts and nuts are.

I posted this before, but you can see that someone tried to fix the leak on the seal, by putting blue RTV on the front side of the seal. Not sure why this was thought to be a good solution as it obviously didn't work.

I also mentioned before in a previous post when finding the oil leak, that I could see a wobble on the harmonic balancer part of the pulley. Strangely enough, the A/C pulley bolted to the front didn't show much of a wobble. But you can see below, after removing the harmonic balancer, the inner ring was dented in multiple locations possibly contributing to this wobble. The scoring on the shaft is also pretty evident, making my decision to spend for a brand new one an even easier one.

In putting on the o-ring so it would stick on the timing chain cover, I just used a small amount of white lithium grease and ran it through my hands. It stuck without issue and I was able to easily get the oil pump with new seal to line up properly without any retries. It's interesting how low those torque numbers are on the oil pump bolts, given it's a pressure seal on the o-ring against a flat surface on the oil pump side, but I followed them from the FSM nonetheless.

I pre-assembled the new A/C pulley to the new harmonic balancer outside the truck and slid the whole assembly on without a problem. My torque wrench only goes up to 100 lb/ft so I will need to borrow one to get it up to the 116 lb/ft (truck was in 5th gear, e-brake on, no issues torqueing it this high).

Now I don't know if everything is leak-free and working yet, as I was still in the process of prepping the engine bay for paint. After that, I still need to reassemble the engine bay, install all the new parts for the cooling system (radiator hoses, heater hoses, radiator, etc), install the new parts for the hydraulic systems (brake and clutch), and reassemble the power steering system. So I'm still a few weekends out from seeing if I did it right but it looks great and I'm crossing my fingers for no leaks ...
pinemind is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote