Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 06:36 PM

Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough

Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTony View Post
I really debated getting a Jeep Rubicon or 4runner TRD Off Road and opted for the latter. (I also live near SF BTW)

To be honest if the JL had more headroom, I'd have gotten that but it's really quite cramped in there; I can't actually sit with my head upright in a hard-top version.

My feeling on the 4runner is that it works pretty nice stock, but even slightly bigger tires need trimming and more than bolt-ons sometimes. It just seems like you have to make big compromises to get bigger tires on it, whereas on a Jeep it's easy just a few bolt-ons.

So my feeling is that the TRD Off Road is capable 'enough' stock with good tires to get me where I need to be, and it fits in parking garages and drives really great on the road.

I'm not going to lift it or mess with it because next thing you know I'd be into $10k and body mods to get to a level of off road competence that's really not hard at all to reach on a Rubicon. Plus I doubt I'd fit in parking garages anymore.

I paid $34.5K for my '19 TRD OR; I'd still be cheaper than the Rubicon if I put that $10k into the 4runner so even that wouldn't be a bad way to go, but warranties, etc are a factor to me.

BTW; I preferred the cloth seats to the vinyl that comes on the premium, and the sunroof cuts into the headroom too much anyway, so saved some $$ by going with the standard Off-Road model.

I’m sorry but your logic is honestly off. Most can fit 32” tires (275/70-17) with no modification at all. Many can fit 33” tires (285/70-17)with minimal modifications (lift, mild wheel well trimming). I, like many, have no need for anything else (UCAs, body mount chop). If you spend big on your lift then sure, you can be $10,000 into a build but it’s really not accurate to represent that as a commonality. It’s not although every rig is slightly different.

You are correct in that most Jeeps can accommodate 33s no problem and the newer ones will take 35s completely stock. Beyond that, dollar for dollar, the 4Runner proves to be a better investment in the way of reliability. Both vehicles have incredibly strong resale values.

I went with the SR5 premium so I, like many, can build it out the way I want. OP, really evaluate the type of off roading you do so you know what your needs are. Do you NEED all those fancy traction mitigation systems (crawl control) and locker? My SR5P has only A-Trac and I’ve been everywhere my fellow Jeep owners have been with ease. I’m yet to find a need for the other goodies offered in the high trims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010 4Runner SR5
Decipher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote