Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 07:12 PM

mag3 is on a distinguished road

mag3 is on a distinguished road
Battery Change - But must also change the + connector...

Hello all, once again!

I'm needing some assistance on changing the positive battery connector along with changing the battery in my 2006 4-Runner Ltd.

The battery is old and needs replacement. But before it died, it "crapped out," spewing corrosive discharge all over the positive connector. The negative connector is just fine. It took quite a long time to remove the connector from the positive pole on the old battery, due to all the dried corrosion. I've scraped and brushed as much corrosion as I can off that connector, as you can see in the first attached photo:

I do have a replacement terminal connector for it as in the 2nd attached photo:

The question I have is as follows. If looking at the older connectors, you can see the cable is attached to a "tab" that is placed on top of the old connector (i.e. around the screw). At present, I cannot separate the tab from the old terminal connector, but that could be because the corrosion (in blue since it's a copper connector) seems to have fused it tight. Does that tab separate from the terminal connector at the screw, or is it permanently welded there? If it is supposed to separate, can you recommend a solvent of some sort that would let me remove the corrosion so that I can separate the tab from the old connector and put the new one in place, so I can then replace the old battery with the new one?

Thanks much all!
Attached Images
Battery Change -  But must also change the + connector...-20190612_171746_red-jpg  Battery Change -  But must also change the + connector...-20190612_171809_red-jpg 

Last edited by mag3; 06-12-2019 at 07:18 PM.
mag3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote