View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 09:59 PM

hamsandwiches is on a distinguished road

hamsandwiches is on a distinguished road
Wacky Instrument Cluster Issue

Hello folks, long time lurker
Bought my 2000 sr5 4x4 in September with 130k now at 137k

I have done as preventative:
TB/WP, tensioners, new rad, new belts, every single fluid on the vehicle except refrigerant, new tires, rear bearings/seals, maf, plugs, wires, battery, all filters, o2 sensor, etc

The issue began a few hundred miles after plugs/wires/maf clean

About every 100 miles, the tach and speedometer stay in position (will not move from their current position), the fuel gauge goes to half and the odometer reads "777777" but its half digits. Vehicle runs/drives perfectly before and during when this happens. Temp gauge is unaffected and all the cluster lights are working.

Only thing that 'resets' it is to pull over, shut off, disconnect and reconnect battery. Then the gauges function fine for another 100ish miles until it happens again. It will not fix it to smack the dash/cluster or if I just shut the car off and turn it back on.

Pulled the cluster and cleaned all plugs - no change, checked what grounds I could find. Truck has zero rust

Internal issue with the cluster? ECM/PCM? Some other ground? Hmmm

This one's got me stumped. Getting pretty annoying.

Thanks for any insight!!