Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 12:20 PM

MSRP. is on a distinguished road

MSRP. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegipper View Post
The V8 4th gen's are rated to tow 7k pounds.

The 2UZ-FE is an extremely well built motor, among the best Toyota ever built (or any auto maker). The cracked exhaust manifolds are somewhat common but they are otherwise a bulletproof engine.

There was a locking rear diff option on the 4th although it is extremely rare. It was only on the 09 model year "trail edition" 4runner. I actually test drove one in Chicago many years ago but it was in pretty rough shape so we passed on it.
Only the latter ones with the heavier duty frame mounted hitch.

And replacement vehicle would depend on what you need it for.
Trails? 3rd gen
Reliable road trip vehicle that eats up the miles? v8 4th gen is my pick. Effortless/lazy power in hills or for 75mph+ scooting. And the v8 with a broken midpipe = glory. Hate how the local government scrapped emissions testing RIGHT after I spent $500 to fix the leaky cat back with a POS Walker unit.. dead quiet now. With the leak far downstream, the v8 sounded GLORIOUS on startup and off the line, but was stock-quiet once up to speed and just cruising. (was) the best of all worlds. Early v8's don't have the secondairy air injection, and RE: the manifold tick, I've been driving with the tick for over 50,000miles, does not affect performance, not throwing codes (fingers crossed), just a minor nuisance that disappears with the windows up or music up.

Vehicle for wife that needs minimal time spent off the road? 4th or 5th gen, budget dependent.

Last edited by MSRP.; 06-20-2019 at 12:40 PM.
MSRP. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote