Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 02:48 PM
Elite Member

mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute
Elite Member

mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4R2014 View Post
Lolol triggered. Hence why I said logical from a DIY perspective. If you are running a business you BET time is valuable. Unfortunately Elaine the middle aged 3rd gen owner isn't waiting 8 days for a steering rack to arrive from Camelback Toyota, so she will have to pay $834 that the cheapest dealer in the area will charge. And the book states that a steering rack job is over 4 hours despite guys on a forum being able to change it at the speed of an F1 pit crew. It's all true, but business is business. $2300 is definitely high but I guess to an original owner this isn't much after this many years.

Oh and keep truckin OP.
No Dude, not triggered. LOL back at ya buddy. I'm just stating my opinion that I don't care what a shop's operation costs are. It's no concern to me whether or not they can pay their light bill. My local dealer has a line of cars waiting to get into the service department everyday. At $200/hour, I know this dealership isn't hurting. What I'm here to tell people is if they have an interest at all in auto mechanics and have the time and space to do it, it's a worthwhile pursuit for more reasons than the money savings.

My 98 4runner is heavily modified now. I paid $6500 for it and since then put another 10k easily into it from the maintenance, repairs and modifications I've done to make it more off-road capable. I can't imagine what I would have invested into it if I paid someone to do all the work, probably at least another 10k. I don't know about you, but 10k is a pretty good chunk of change to do something with.

There's things I gladly pay someone else to do for me. I thought about tearing off and installing my own roof recently, but decided the amount of labor it was going to take was going to be more than I wanted to take on. Weeks of physical work out in the hot sun didn't sound so great to me so I parted with a lot of cash instead.

By the way, Camelback Toyota will usually get you your parts in 2-3 days.

Last edited by mtbtim; 06-20-2019 at 03:21 PM.
mtbtim is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote