Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 12:23 PM

jross20 is a jewel in the rough jross20 is a jewel in the rough jross20 is a jewel in the rough

jross20 is a jewel in the rough jross20 is a jewel in the rough jross20 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcjeep View Post
Heat. Everything creates heat. Flir infrared works best, also expensive. Infrared (IR) Heat gun cost around $20 +/-. Start checking brake rotors, pads and caliper. Usually the sun side of a vehicle will be 10deg warmer.

IR gun very useful for ujoints, radiator, A.C., diff, transmission. I typically carry one in every vehicle.
Okay, what am I looking for in the rear? And also to mention again, she can do it when she's cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiMiles View Post
Do you have an early 3rd gen with no ABS? Could be a messed-up LSPV causing excessive rear bias.
It is a 2000 4x4 SR5, sorry I should have mentioned that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coward View Post
My 1996 had two similar issues. One of the issues was a warped rear brake drum. So at very slow speeds and slight brake pressure (carpool line) one of the rear wheels would lock up. You could verify by pulling the e brake at 45MPH and check for vibration. However you did say that everything has been checked. My other issue sounded exactly like yours. For me, sometimes when the ABS had been triggered one of the front calipers would lock up. And it would not release seemingly until it felt like it. I was able to manage the issue for a year or so. When I upgraded my front calipers to the 231's it repeated the issue immediately and it was not manageable. I cycled the power to the ABS pump and it released. I then removed the ABS fuseable link and have ran without ABS ever since. Not sure what year you have and I know the 01-02's have the big fancy master cylinder/ABS accumulator setup. My guess is it is an ABS pump issue.
I've wondered about trying her without ABS but...that also sounds dangerous as shit. Is there a way to recalibrate the ABS? I know on 2nd gen taco's you have to calibrate or reset something otherwise it will brake crazy like after doing an alignment or changing the tires.
jross20 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote