View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 09:05 PM

pinemind will become famous soon enough

pinemind will become famous soon enough
My apologies for the lack of updates. 2 weekends ago after the crescendo of being done with painting and disassembly, I realized I neglected cleaning up all the hard brake and clutch lines. As with most of the items in the engine bay, they were covered in the impermeable oil/dirt/grease sludge. Given the size and shape of these, this proved a mutli-hour effort in order to prepare it for painting. Plus, I only had about 6 hours on Saturday given some other obligations, so that was all I accomplished aside from organizing a few last minute parts to start re-assembly the next weekend.

Fast forward to this past weekend, I started with hard to reach items along the firewall, and the passenger side, which was the reverse order of disassembly. While everything was still out, I installed a new OEM EGR Valve and associated hardware, gaskets. What's strange is, there was no gasket on the old EGR Valve when I took it off. I know it's attached to the intake-to-head gasket, but now I'm wondering if this could have been the source of my random mis-fire at warm idle. I also painted the top portion of the part that goes into the intake manifold. I've been using this dark gray for engine bracketry, and keep a semi-gloss for all other brackets that attach places other than the engine. Nice shiny new bolts and nuts too!

Not sure what the part is called, but it's part of the EGR system (little brown plastic disk) was next. Same deal with the bracket here, painted it dark gray with engine ceramic DupliColor paint. As I went along, I was also installing brand new black silicone vacuum lines I got from LCE.

[

Then I reattached the rear VSV, cleaned up with a wire wheel on the bracket, more new silicon vacuum lines.

Next up was the windshield wiper motor, and the rear portion of the charcoal canister bracket.

Fuel lines reattached for the charcoal canister on fender and soft tube to firewall. Attached front part of charcoal canister bracket.

Repainted charcoal canister, new soft fuel hose and clamps installed.

Rerouted the ECU harness back through the firewall and properly installed the grommted. It was covered in grey RTV so got rid of that nonsense. Also, you can see here the original grey tape and wire loom was removed. This part of the harness was in firing range of the oil leak from the front main seal, and was thus oozing oil whenever I tried to clean it. So I removed all the old grey tape/loom, cleaned the wires, and rewrapped with Tessa tape. Also attached the starter resistor thingy and painted bracket.

Painted brake/clutch lines were next and preassembled with the restored/painted brackets. Also a new OEM clutch hose preinstalled (turned out to be a mistake and should have done this afterwards, found out that on Sunday -> stupid hose clip was impossible to get aligned with the clutch line attached).

Installed the lines, being very careful especially with the curly-Q ends to not nail the engine bay paint.

And that was the end of Saturday. I'll gather my Sunday install pictures and post the rest up tomorrow or Wednesday. Mostly working my way along the firewall, and doing some random installs on the driver side (PS hp hose, steering shaft, speedometer/throttle/parking brake cables, clutch slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder, ignition coil and igniter).
pinemind is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote