View Single Post
Old 06-30-2019, 09:27 AM

Direwolf82 will become famous soon enough

Direwolf82 will become famous soon enough
After looking at the chart I'm not sure what to say really.
It looks like a 35 amp fuse will allow over a thousand amps to flow before burning out so where do you draw the line?
I'll be sticking with the time tested and industry accepted way of determining fuse size, determined by wire size. There is just no way a double ought cable is going to fry before the fuse does.
I cannot guarantee what, where or how I may get stuck and need the winch to get out and don't want to limit my abilities with an undersized fuse. Maybe a little log bridge collapses and leaves me in a steep creek bed. You never know what's going to happen.
I tend to think of others as well, if I come up to a crash and someone needs to get recovered from a ravine or a deep mud hole then my system will be able to deliver maximum pull. How disappointing would it be for your 9 thousand pound winch to only pull 6 thousand before popping a fuse?
And please try this if you don't believe me, the more strain the winch sees the more amps it wants. Put a fifty amp fuse in it and see what it'll do, not much.
Real world, not charts and graphs since it'll be used in the real world. I would be very interested in seeing what pull your winch develops before blowing the fuse.

Edit: don't forget that start surge can be pretty high, that's why electrical motors have capacitors. High discharge rate to start turning the motor.

To each their own, do what makes you feel safe and comfortable. I just personally don't understand why anyone would limit their ability to self recover or recover someone else.

Last edited by Direwolf82; 06-30-2019 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Edit: don't forget that when the winch initially turns on it'll draw a much higher rate than when running. Start up surge.
Direwolf82 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote