Home Menu

Site Navigation

Thread: Chim's 99
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2019, 11:51 AM

Chim will become famous soon enough

Chim will become famous soon enough
It's been a long time since I have had an update on doing anything to my 4runner. I have been so caught up in building my Nova and getting it to a place where I can enjoy it. Now that the Nova is up and running and can be a second car it gives me a little piece of mind for working on the 4runner when I know I dont have to drive it right away. It gives me time to actually do stuff without rushing.

Here is where the Nova sits now.

So with the Nova mobile and able to drive me around with the 4runner apart I decided it was time to remove my pile of crap ToyTec Boss front coilovers. These things have leaked for the longest time and have rode stiff and harsh right out of the gate and they only have like 20k on them now (99.5% road driving).
I went with the King extended travel coilovers cause I dont want to have to do this again. Its also a good to know these can be rebuilt unlike the Boss Coilovers where you have to buy a new shock. I went with the 700 pound coils and then used a set of SPC adjustable upper control arms. I ended up doing the "G" setting on the control arms while rotating the lower control arm bolts for max caster as pointed out in the SPC thread. Camber on upper ball joints is maxed out and my home alignment turned out really good. I will still take it in soon for an official alignment but for now it rides and drives great with no issues whatsoever.

A couple thoughts:
1. 700 pound coils - When purchasing the Kings I wasn't sure what spring rate to get. I had read 600, 650 and 700. Most people were saying 650. After figuring the weight of the stuff I already have mounted on my 4runner I decided to go 700 and was a little scared. But... they ride great. They handle speed bumps, pot holes.. all road conditions very comfortably and I have zero regrets.
2. Ride height - with the BOSS coilovers I had to crank them up some to lift the front end up so I was assuming I would have to do the same with the Kings but I wanted to get them on and see where they sat out of the box. After installing them I see zero need to adjust the height from how the factory set them up. I am super happy with this also as I feel it maximizes ride quality as intended.

My only complaint now.....

Is that I want them for the rear as well so I can fix that crappy Boss shock ride!!

My install video-
YouTube
Chim is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote