View Single Post
Old 07-13-2019, 12:01 PM

ElZilcho will become famous soon enough

ElZilcho will become famous soon enough
Your probably fine assuming it's a true part-time 4wd system. If it's a AWD/Full-time 4wd there it's likely problematic depending on the distance traveled.

In that towing configuration a part-time system will only operate the Front diff and half of the transfer case backwards meaning that the lube slingers aren't working to their optimum, but heat wouldn't likely be an issue unless it was being towed at highway speeds for a long period of time.

If it's a full-time system (like my 4th gen) you could do some pretty significant damage in pretty short order. I don't have a lot of hands-on knowledge with the 5th gens, but I have a fair amount of experience towing. Hopefully someone else can chime in with more specific info about the trans/transfer case configurations.

I would make sure to get as much documentation as possible and inspect all your fluids. You're probably fine, but better safe than sorry. Anyone that pulled up to a 4wd vehicle in a wheel lift truck and didn't immediately call for a flatbed doesn't know enough about drive-train configuration to be trusted.

2008 4WD SR5 V8. 2.5/1.5 Daystar. 265/75R16 Duratracs #UZN215
ElZilcho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote