View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 07:01 PM

4Runner4Leon is a jewel in the rough 4Runner4Leon is a jewel in the rough 4Runner4Leon is a jewel in the rough 4Runner4Leon is a jewel in the rough

4Runner4Leon is a jewel in the rough 4Runner4Leon is a jewel in the rough 4Runner4Leon is a jewel in the rough 4Runner4Leon is a jewel in the rough
Am I missing the point of scangauge?

I bought a scangauge a few weeks ago, planning to eventually install it in the overhead console. I must admit that I had my doubts about its utility for my truck, but I decided to try it, given that everyone else seems to love theirs.

So after a few weeks of driving with the scangauge, I'm ready to send it back. Now, full disclosure, I'm a bit of an odd duck - I have a digital voltmeter and transmission temperature gauges already installed in the dash, so I have no need for these functions in the scangauge (besides the scangauge would not read the trans temps on my '97).

So that leaves the water temperature gauge as the only thing I find interesting to monitor - and even that is of little benefit, as I can look at the analog gauge in the dash. Without an alarm for high water temps (and I can't comprehend why scangauge doesn't include that function, like Ultragage does), I'm not sure how useful it is for me to have that gauge. I don't want to use the scangauge as a $100 water temp gauge.

Moreover, my Torque Pro app can do everything that a scangauge can do, except that Torque Pro is easier to use for scanning fault codes, monitoring various functions, all with a much better graphics interface.

So am I missing something about the scangauge that might make me change my mind?

SPIKER Engineering High-Lift Hood Struts

4Runner4Leon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote