Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-17-2019, 09:17 PM

Juice88 is on a distinguished road

Juice88 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdevtac View Post
Boroscope it or walk. Outside has clear surface rust that’s been spray painted as you already mentioned but no telling what the inside of the frame is doing.

Check the front auxiliary crossmember where the front skid mounts, that rots pretty damn quick/often. Check the section of frame near the front cab mounts. Check the area near the rear lower arms (rots out) and also check the rear crossmember.

By check I mean whack it with a hammer to see if you get a nice ting or hollow thud, and screwdriver poke it if it’s suspect.

Otherwise hard pass on a rust belt vehicle seeing as your in Cali. You should be able to find a better rust free option where you are at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbo View Post
Literally the first thing that popped into my head is it looked like it was painted and they are trying to hide rust. That rear diff housing and many other places are pretty telling.

I’m not really a desperate buyer when it comes to even a V8 4Runner. I would pass if you can’t do a thorough inspection, and pick it up at the right price on top of that.
Thanks for the input guys. I actually thought it looked pretty good aside from some surface rust, so that goes to show my little experience and low mechanical knowledge.

I did put a deposit on the vehicle, so I have 3 days to think it over. The other thing is, it's 5 hours north of me so I'll have to head there with an intention to buy it, or not.

Question- the fact that it's already at a Toyota dealership, could I trust them more than a used car dealer? Or could I at least use their shop as a trusted second opinion?
Juice88 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote