Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-18-2019, 09:44 PM

shmabs is on a distinguished road

shmabs is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

For me, keeping that 40 part was a requirement, I have an 8 year old adventure buddy.

I needed to be able to easily remove the fridge platform and install the rear seat for when I need to haul 4/5 people.My truck isn’t a daily driver, but occasionally I do take a few people with me when we go out and play.

I wish I had access to CAD and a router, that would make things much faster, and probably a bit cleaner. My contouring around the rear driver side plastic isn’t great; I traced the top most carpet, and it’s not perfect. I should have made a cardboard or thin plywood template and then transferred it to the big stuff.

I have also thought about going to 1 inch plywood to be able to make the rails sit completely flush, but that wasn’t commonly available where I live (I had to drive an hour to get the wood as is).

With 3/4 inch wood, you can’t really make these rails sit completely flush without giving up a lot of thickness of the wood, and therefore strength.

I’m trying very hard to pay attention to added weight on this truck, so that was a consideration. I think after removing the rear seat portion, I still probably lost weight even after the platform is installed.

The overall length of the platform is a little short for most, but I didn’t want to extend the fridge panel area any further as it could impede on the range of motion of the front seat, and I use the area behind the passenger front seat for storage of soft goods. I’m 5’6” so it works for me if I stash something there when sleeping, but might not work for everyone. I have two bags of gear that live in the 4runner nearly full time, and they fill that void nicely when sleeping in there. I’m not near the truck now, but I think total length is right around 60 inches.

Thinking about it now, it wouldn’t be hard to extend that platform with a different piece of wood, if it should become necessary. I’ve spent a good amount of time sleeping in the back of trucks, and I don’t think it will become a requirement for me.

Last edited by shmabs; 07-18-2019 at 09:54 PM.
shmabs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote