View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 11:38 AM

Antznyopantz is on a distinguished road

Antznyopantz is on a distinguished road
Compression Test Results: Mantain or Replace Engine?

Performed a compression test to assess the health of my 98's 3.4.

Here are the numbers in the same configuration they occur on the engine. The bottom numbers are nearest the radiator and cylinder numbers are in parentheses.

183 (5) (6) 200
200 (3) (4) 150
205 (1) (2) 205

I believe spec is 178+ with no more than 14 psi difference between cylinders. Obviously number 4 is struggling. Number 5 isn't far behind it.

It has 404,xxx miles on it - is my daily driver - and runs ok.

I am about to take a road trip to Lake Tahoe and considering doing the maintenance on this one (water pump, tune up, radiator, etc) - or renting a car for the road trip and replacing the engine when I return (I've got one with 180k on hand - just no time to do a switch before leaving).

Informed opinions please. Think this thing has another 120k in to justify redoing the water pump? See if I can't make half a million? Or replace when I can?

Thanks!
Antznyopantz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote