View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 09:40 PM

DiracSea is on a distinguished road

DiracSea is on a distinguished road
Okay so here's an update of where I'm at.

I got the car with 183k miles in May and now it's at 185.2k
Business and work related expenses (clothes), etc have been sucking up all my paychecks so I'm seriously delayed on my car work.

About 3 weeks ago, I finally got the skid plate off but I needed to drill out a few bolts. I went out and bought new bolts and some anti-seize that I'll put in place once I get the skid plate back on. I left it off because I knew I had an oil change coming up. I'll take a pic next time I post.

Went to a local trustworthy mechanic who took a look at my radiator, hoses, etc. and basically refused to replace it unless I really was paranoid because he thought the truck was a great buy considering it's age and the radiator seemed relatively new. He quoted me some great prices when I told him I planned on doing timing belt + water pump, and other work. He's retiring next year (at a very limber 78 years old!). He did tell me I had a leak that was widespread, told me to the clean the bottom, drive a little, and then come back to him so he could find the source. Still need to do this.

Aitex will be selling bottles at the mid america open (disc golf) in 2 weeks and so I need the 4runner in shape to make the 6 hr drive there and then back. My co-founders stock 95 jeep grand cherokee with only 93k miles just had "death wobble" kick in so there's no way we're taking that.

I went to do a simple oil change today now that the skid plate is off. My only worry was the oil filter (take a look at the pic lol) and whether it was stuck on but I managed to crack it loose with an oil filter wrench. Was really surprised at how hard it was to maneuver in that area. Went to drain the oil and...after cracking the bolt it started spinning....and spinning...and spinning. Cross-threaded. I decided it wasn't worth the risk to try and push and turn and cut some new threads because I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get the new bolt and washer on. I also opened up my O'Reilly bought K&N filter to find it didn't have any packaging on it and didn't look too clean. Gonna return that and buy one from somewhere else.

Couldn't even re tighten the bolt but luckily no leaks after running the engine for 30 seconds and hand tightening oil filter. It really needs an oil change before monday (I drive 60 miles a day) and my mechanic isnt available tomorrow so I am going to bite the bullet and let jiffy lube take a crack at it. (My brother works there so hopefully his co-workers don't make a mess of things). Hopefully don't need a new oil pan. Like I said, I bought this 4runner to learn how to work on cars so considering my risk/reward I'll hand it over to jiffy lube this time. And do the oil change myself next time when I'm not so stressed for time.

Getting new tires, alignment, and rotating them on Monday as well. The alignment is so bad I couldn't do it myself like suggested.
Still need to get a jack, jackstands, and attack that rust underneath before summers over too.

This is fun. It will be really fun to look back at this thread when I've sunk 20k into this thing to make it something really special from such humble origins.
DiracSea is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote