Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 10:03 PM

Tahoe_Natl_Forest is on a distinguished road

Tahoe_Natl_Forest is on a distinguished road
Tell me about a 'locker'

So...been working on my truck a little bit and have it kind of where I thought I wanted it with the exception of a roof rack and some bumper/under armor when I have additional cash available.

TLDR; Trying to understand what a locker is and how it can help me.

I'm not a newbie to 4wd'ing per se, but not super comfortable with what my new clearance is (3" lift) and do not know how to leverage angles and what not very well going down steep grades. Nor do I know the best time to use rocks versus dirt for traction. I've started to learn that this weekend...

Anyhow, brought it to a fairly straightforward location down to a spot where I've been before with others. However, it has been a number of years and I was a passenger before so had thought we went 'all the way down' instead of to an upper parking spot. The first day I parked in the upper parking spot because i was intimidated of the lower descent.

Next day, I had hiked the 1/3 mile down below and saw a jeep come on down the place where I had thought I'd been in an older (1992) 4runner 10 or so years ago. He came down easily, dropped off a kayak and went back up, picked up another kayak and came down. So, looked easy and I had a ton of gear so tried it.

Long story short, on the way down, I basically made a couple of technical errors that almost left me sidelined (flipping on side) but the truck held up and new sliders saved part of my side I'd assume and I cruised down fairly shaken.

At the bottom was only the lake and the other guy and his family with the wrangler so I talked to him for a few and he asked me if I had a locker. I know the term (and of course can google it) but for some reason thought that the '05 had some type of this in it. So....as opposed to my going and digging around the internet for details, I thought I'd come here for advice.

I think this was even a bigger deal on the way out. I was able to take a different way, but it was still very difficult with not being able to have 4 wheels on the ground and very little dirt. When I got to the top, someone else mentioned it....

Can you please tell me what I need to know about lockers? And if you know about the '05 sport stock situation? Appreciate it!

Last edited by Tahoe_Natl_Forest; 07-20-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Tahoe_Natl_Forest is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote