Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-23-2019, 01:35 PM

Globetrotter78 has a spectacular aura about Globetrotter78 has a spectacular aura about

Globetrotter78 has a spectacular aura about Globetrotter78 has a spectacular aura about
Sub Enclosure Build

So, given my inability to just let a good thing be I decided my next project was to build a subwoofer enclosure. I had built fiberglass enclosures for several of my vehicles in my younger years but Im about a decade out of practice. There was a lot of trial and error and a bit of having to accept the imperfections of inexperience.

After seeing the absurd prices of the premade stealth boxes on the market I decided, like others here, to build it and put my enclosure in that weird side pocket on the right.

The first and most critical step in working with fiberglass is to remove EVERYTHING that could possibly be ruined by inevitable resin drips. DO NOT RELY ON CAUTION OR A STEADY HAND!! Resin is sticky as hell, messy to work with and it will permanently damage the finish of almost anything it comes in contact with in a car. Resin must also be mixed very accurately to avoid curing issues. I removed the rear carpet and foam padding down to the bare metal. The next step is to tape off the area to be glassed using 2in Painter's Tape. Be sure you leave a buffer space well beyond your working area to allow for errors or runs. Once I had a layer covering the entire surface I laid a few more layers across seams to ensure there was way the resin could permeate. Given the design of the pocket I bridged some tape across the descending opening otherwise you'd never be able to remove it once hardened. Some people use aluminum foil between the painters tape and the resin layer since foil tears easily and will make removal much easier. In hindsight, I wish I hand done that!! Even though painters tape releases easily, in that quantity and pulling horizontally its MUCH more stubborn.

My plan was to have the box wedge securly in that pocket and seated in that tray where the anchor is thus allowing me to use the anchor bolt hole to secure the box from inside. Due to the location I knew I would be relocating the outlets elsewhere(TBD). This location was preferable over the left side which would block access to the bottle jack. Once ready to go, the next step is to begin laying TORN(not cut) bits of fiberglass MAT(not cloth). With each bit laid you'll DAB your CAREFULLY MEASURED resin on top until the fiberglass appears to dissolve into the resin. Any areas subject to gravity its best to paint a coat of resin directly on the tape first to aid in the adhesion of the glass, then dab more resin. Continue this process over the entire working space for several layers (3+) and extending well beyond your intended final edges. This will allow for trimming and sanding down to the proper shape. I failed to do this adequately in the footing area and its obvious in the final product. Like I said, sometimes you have to accept the flaws of inexperience and do your best. Still beats $750 for a box!
Attached Images
Globetrotter Build!-20190714_103328-jpg  Globetrotter Build!-20190714_114812-jpg 

Last edited by Globetrotter78; 07-23-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Globetrotter78 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote