Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-24-2019, 12:44 PM

BlackToySteve is on a distinguished road

BlackToySteve is on a distinguished road
Tell me about a 'locker'

Okay, since I have an ‘04 V6 T4R and have used all features, here is a short course:

1. If you don’t have an owner’s manual, download the Toyota app and get an electronic copy. All of the answers are there regarding how to use the 4WD system.
2. If your vehicle is a V6, 4HI is basically a highway safe all wheel drive. Torque is split variably between front and back. 4HI plus center diff lock equals a more standard 4WD. Power is equally split front/back. You want this in any occasion where terrain gets uneven.
3. If you’re in a slow speed situation, engage 4LO. Much more control and power. Center Diff Lock works the same as in 4HI. By the way, you need to exercise that 4LO solenoid, so find a place or reason to flip that switch about once a month. If you don’t use it, you’ll lose it. And in case you haven’t read the manual, yet (#1!), you need to be in neutral for it to engage.
4. Use that RSCA OFF button any time you’re in an off camber wheeling situation. It will keep your airbags from blowing if you tip too far.
5. DAC works! Point yourself downhill, put it in 4LO, then 1st or 2nd gear, and let the vehicle do its thing. Works wonderfully. Directional control down hill is much better. If you need to hit the brake, hit the brake. It just momentarily suspends the DAC until you let off the brake.
6. TRAC works okay until you get too much wheel off the ground. In that case, reposition your vehicle and try again. More momentum. (Talking about climbing hills in uneven terrain, here.)
7. Add a rear locker to enhance traction immensely. Be prepared for the cost (selectable, ARB or Toyota factory) or a change in driving practice (automatic or drop in locker, Detroit locker, Lock Right, Aussie, etc.). A rear limited slip (Detroit TrueTrac) might be a valid choice if you’re not rock crawling it.
8. A lift without a locker is like wearing a bra but not having the pretty parts to put in it. A locker’ed rig without lift is a sleeper (looks normal, wheels like a beast). I have a stock looking T100 that will wheel with a stock Rubicon. No lift, just lockers and the biggest tires I can stuff in the wheel wells. Traction for daaaaayyyyzzzz, bro. And no power to break the tires loose, because 3.slow.
9. Go back and read point 1. Manual! Manual! Manual!!!!!!!! Reeeeeaaaaaddd!
10. Find an ORV Park or someplace else safe to practice, and find somebody with experience to help you pick lines and teach you about COG, traction, power application. and such. Don’t get yourself in a situation ALONE that you’re not comfortable with.

That’s my experience. YMMV. Your rig has lots of cool features. Familiarize yourself and use them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BlackToySteve is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote