Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 07:34 PM

pinemind will become famous soon enough

pinemind will become famous soon enough
Hi everyone, sorry for the long gap in between posts. But it's been mostly because I've been having so much fun actually driving this thing around now that it's out of it's 3 month cocoon. I took it to an exhaust shop the Monday after it started up and I checked for leaks and did a short test drive. I got a Magnaflow muffler and mandrel bent 2.25" piping installed for a reasonable price. It's still a bit buzzy for my tastes as the exhaust guy recommended Magnaflow for the quietest 4-cylinder with a header. I still thinkg the Flowmaster Delta 50 or 60 would have been better, perhaps I need to revisit a resonator in the near future. I will reevaluate once I have the soundproofing and carpet in (still bare metal floors and panels), but with the windows down at near-WOT, it's pretty buzzy. No pictures of it yet, I'll have to grab some this weekend.

So the weekend I got it back, it started a blazing hot 2 weeks of 90+ heat and humidity in the Northeast. But I think I spent 4+ hours each day that first weekend just driving. Was able to get it washed which was nice. And the only issue after all that disassembly/reassembly, was a slight leak on the lower radiator hose. I think it was because it was my first experience with silicone hoses and I didn't realize how much you needed to actually crank down those clamps. So I stopped in a Pep Boys parking lot, took out my ratchet set and crawled under. Fixed. Still no leaks.

The next weekend I had a music festival way up in the Catskills, a 250 mile drive each way on the NJ Turnpike, Thruway, etc. Again, it was going to be very hot, 95+ and I was a bit nervous about hitting those roads in that heat for that distance. But I decided to drive and aside from it being unbearably hot as I haven't gone about getting the parts to re-install the AC, it drove like a champ. I was surprised that I was able to cruise at 70 MPG in 5th no issue, and even 75-80 without much struggle either.

So, I'm going to be taking a bit of a break from doing work to actually enjoy the truck. Next steps are to start the rest of the soundproofing, in preparation for installing the carpet. I also am waiting for the upholstery to come in so I can get the seats redone.

One little project, I got some OEM mudflaps off eBay in pretty good shape, save for the white lettering. So I repainted those, matte clear coated as well. I was very careful, using 3m green automotive tape and an eXacto knife, but they came out great:

pinemind is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote