Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 01:12 PM

andrew4r will become famous soon enough andrew4r will become famous soon enough

andrew4r will become famous soon enough andrew4r will become famous soon enough
The FRO rack is not full length and it is quite tall. However, it does have tons of accessories. I am unsure if FRO accessories work on an SSO rack. You'd have to measure and see if the rail slots are the same. I'm guessing not.

I recently installed an SSO rack. The rack is the full length of the vehicle which is really nice. It's also very low profile. Maybe half an inch taller than the OEM rails? If that? The thing that sold me was the wind fairing. I like how it makes contact with the roof of the vehicle. Keeps things relatively quiet.

Despite some other people's experiences, the SSO rack arrived exactly how I ordered it -- including extra crossbars, all crossbars anodized black, and black hardware. Estimated time was 10-12 weeks, and it arrived during week 12.

I can't speak to the FRO rack, but the SSO rack's powder coating is amaaaazing. It's very thick and very well done.

There are 2 things I don't like about the SSO rack:

1) The installation instructions instruct you to reuse the OEM bolts. It works. Not a huge deal. But I would prefer new, longer bolts. The SSO rack introduces spacers of approximately 1 inch. So that's about 1 inch of less bolt thread threaded into the roof's bolt holes.

2) The bracket design is not bullet proof with regards to leakage. I installed per instructions and I did not have any leaks. I even removed the interior B pillar panels to see if water was getting inside, and it wasn't. However, since the brackets have slots (instead of just holes) so you can move/position/center the rack, that means either side of the bolts have about 3/4 centimeter of exposed thread. No reason water couldn't make it down those threads. After complete installment, I backed out each bolt (one by one), filled the sides of the bracket slots above the spacer with silicone, put plumbers tape on the bolts, and bolted them back down.

If I had to do it all over again, I would still go with the SSO rack. It's sharp af, the powder coating is great, it's relatively quiet, and it suits my needs. If I lived in the middle of Australia and needed my T4R to be a house on wheels, I may opt for the FRO rack.

'18 TRD Off-Road
andrew4r is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote