Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-30-2019, 06:47 PM

TonyB66 is a glorious beacon of light TonyB66 is a glorious beacon of light TonyB66 is a glorious beacon of light TonyB66 is a glorious beacon of light TonyB66 is a glorious beacon of light TonyB66 is a glorious beacon of light

TonyB66 is a glorious beacon of light TonyB66 is a glorious beacon of light TonyB66 is a glorious beacon of light TonyB66 is a glorious beacon of light TonyB66 is a glorious beacon of light TonyB66 is a glorious beacon of light
The rear attic storage rack is complete.

Not knowing how much weight it might support at times, I felt it wise to have steel "washers" as I don't feel comfortable with the bolt heads solely on the aluminum angle. Had some scrap steel that I cut into lengths, a little over 4", enough to span a section of the rack.

Got holes marked, drilled and the pieces cleaned-up for some paint. Had some silver from a project on the MINI's interior years ago...

Had to elongate the holes a little with a Dremel so they would fit or line-up with the holes in the aluminum angles. Got them in place and snugged...

Except one... Going through those reduced 2x4 spacers threw-off my alignment a bit. I could not get one to thread into the rivnut. Instead of taking the rack down (not easy to get up there alone), I decided to enlarge that one hole. Not wanting to damage the headliner with the bit, I used a Simpson Strong-Tie "protector'. These are used on new construction, or remodels under drywall to protect pipes or Romex from intrusion, typically screws or nails...

Worked great. Got the hole enlarged enough to get the last bolt in place, and everything tight. Found a few compressible items to get an idea as to how much I can fit up there.

Looks like those took-up about half the space.

By design, luggage-friendly for the airport runs...

Also, I can sit-up back there (no photo), and my head won't hit the underside of the rack. Also checked that before deciding upon how high/low to position the rack.

I will have a few hooks on the sides to hang things like gloves, namely for the kids. They always seem to misplace them, or they get lost amongst other stuff on the floor. Will also have a few of the flat bungee cords, also along the sides only, for larger stuff like bulkier jackets, etc. I don't want items hanging down in the middle, blocking the rear view. EDIT/ADD. Just added four flat bungee cords, 2-footers...

Overall, happy with the results.

With the two weeks left before I take a break for a while (mentioned above), I aim to:

1. Finishing-up the winch install - secure routing of electrical connections, spool it, fairlead, and torque the mounting bolts to spec within the bumper

2. Install the Baja Designs wide angle ambers in the bumper

3. Install the Baja Designs spots on the CBI ditch light brackets

4. Complete the electrical connections for those, and the Baja Designs combo/driving lights already on the bumper, all going to a switch box below the driver's seat.

Maybe a bit much, but I think doable...

Last edited by TonyB66; 08-01-2019 at 05:08 PM.
TonyB66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote