View Single Post
Old 07-30-2019, 10:44 PM

whitetiger is on a distinguished road

whitetiger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY PAT View Post
My guess is they’re going to refill it and if it runs ok, give it back to you. Did it overheat? Shut off on its own at all? Tough spot. If it runs fine now, it might be completely fine and have no internal damage. OTOH, damage might have been done and it would run fine for awhile. If I were in your shoes and the dealer refills it, tests it and gives it back to you (which I think is the most likely scenario) I’d document, document, document that they messed up the oil change resulting in a low oil / no oil condition. Ask them to document in writing what they found when they pulled it in to the bay (no oil drain plug) and whatever tests they performed on the work order. If there was no drain plug, I’d say you didn’t have any oil in there so all. It’s not like it would slowly leak.. it’d dump right out... so they probably never refilled it at all. Horrible if that’s true. Just horrible. I’d ask them to extend the warranty a long time, like 10 years / 150K miles or something. Maybe they will be willing to document, maybe they won’t, maybe they’ll be willing to extend your engine warranty... maybe they won’t, but it can’t hurt to ask. I’d also ask the dealer to pay for oil analysis tests. For the OA tests, I’d drive it 500 miles or so and drop the oil that’s in there and send a sample to Blackstone Labs for an oil analysis. I’d do that myself, or watch the dealer tech take the sample mid stream as they recommend. Then I’d have them refill and put a new filter in and drive it 2,000-3,000 miles and do the same thing again. Then I’d drive it 5,000 miles and send another sample in. If all is fine, I’d relax at that point and have another oil analysis in 20,000 miles or so. Keep the Blackstone reports. The nice thing about Blackstone is they will compare your results to other 4R results if you ask them to and if your analysis is outside the norm, you’ll have that in writing. I’m sure what else you can do. I’d be mad as hell but you’ll have to prove damages, which isn’t easy. OTOH, at least you didn’t have it changed at some hole in the wall corner store. I think Toyota and the dealer are likely to be lots more responsive than the local Valvoline. Good luck.
Hey WNY PAT, no it did not overheat or shut off at all. The issue caught my attention once I began to hear that noise in the cabin when I'd accelerate after complete stop. The oil light only came on once I was home and turned the car briefly off/on. Thanks for the tip on the oil analysis, will definitely do that.
whitetiger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote