Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 02:39 PM

Snagglepus is on a distinguished road

Snagglepus is on a distinguished road
Phone Mount--Left Side

Not happy with phone mount options to the right side of drivers seat and have been looking for an option that would get the phone higher and left of the steering wheel--in line with the A pillar to minimize any visual impairment.

My first attempt was a magnet mount on the left vent which worked but lacked the ability to tilt. Unfortunately, the glare from the driver side window almost completely rendered my phone useless. I was in the hunt for some kind of tilt-able attachable platform for the left side.

I purchase a 1" ball for a Ram Mount that attached to the lower 8mm bolt on the handle off the A pillar and a double Ram Socket along with a 2x1.7 Ram phone mount plus a ProClip Adjustable phone holder. To my dismay I could not get the double socket long length attachment to attach to the ball and provide me the correct angles for the ProClip. Then I realized I didn't need the Ram ball attached to the pillar handle but I could attach the double sock to the handle itself providing an absolute perfect angle to the phone. Below see how this attachment looks.

I have a GTA phone kit for my phone for blue tooth functions and hands free operation but realize that one of the big advantages of having the phone so close to the driver is that the phone speaker function is all that is needed for hands free phone calls. But if I want to listen to my music stored on the phone I can turn on the blue tooth function.

One of the perceived disadvantages of having the phone mounted away from the dash is having to deal with the charge cord. But because this mount is so close to the driver's side door and the weatherstripping it makes for a very convenient channel to run the charge cord. I simply added a usb charger to the dash on the left side and the cord is really not in the way or very noticeable.

In my opinion this mount option is worth the added cost. So the Adjustable ProClip mount for my iPhone 6 was $40, the Double Socket Long Length Ram was $17 and the Ram 2x1.7 Phone Mount was $8. I am justifying the cost of this setup by telling myself I will be using the same double ended Ram for a small table in the back when camping (utilizing the extra Ram ball that didn't work out for the phone mount).

Everyone likes to have there phones in a different place and this might give others an additional option (although a bit spendy).
Attached Images
Phone Mount--Left Side-4runner-phone-3-jpg  Phone Mount--Left Side-4runner-phone-1-jpg  Phone Mount--Left Side-4runner-phone-2-jpg 

Last edited by Snagglepus; 08-04-2019 at 02:47 PM. Reason: grammar
Snagglepus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote