View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 01:51 AM

Lexington is a jewel in the rough Lexington is a jewel in the rough Lexington is a jewel in the rough

Lexington is a jewel in the rough Lexington is a jewel in the rough Lexington is a jewel in the rough
Engine Tapping/Ticking Noise

Hi All

I’m a new Toyota owner. I owned a nothing but Isuzu Troopers the last 25 years. But my last faithful steed has gone to pasture. So I replace her with a 2016 4Runner TRD Pro. But there are new sounds that I’m not accustomed too.

The one I’ve had the most concern about is a light tapping/ticking noise coming from the engine. A Toyota Dealer mechanic told me that it’s fairly common for these engines with 30k+ miles. He said these engines tend to get a varnish build up on the fuel injection and valves but it nothing to be too concerned about.

I’m wondering if there are ways to reduce the noise. I did add Lucas Oil for synthetic oil and it was noticeably quieter. Someone also said I could run Miracle Oil in the oil and engine and that it would help remove the varnish. I talked to a customer service guy for Toyota about it and said using different oil might help too. He said his Tundra runs quieter on Valvoline synthetic oil. Right now I’m running Castro Synthetic Oil.

I’d like to know how many people have had this issue and what you did to get rid of that tapping noise or at least make it quieter.

Thanks
Lexington is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote