Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 10:10 AM

Gecko is a jewel in the rough Gecko is a jewel in the rough Gecko is a jewel in the rough

Gecko is a jewel in the rough Gecko is a jewel in the rough Gecko is a jewel in the rough
BFG KO2 vs Nitto Terra Grappler G2 vs Falken Wildpeak AT3W

Yes, I searched extensively before posting this - please don't shoot me.

I drive: A Limited 4x4, no lift, had BFG KO2s (C-Rated) on for 25k miles

My driving habits: 95% on-road, off road is mostly trails and service roads for fishing or hiking. I'm picking up a 2019 soon and will be calling it quits on anything more advanced than those trails because I don't want to bang it up (again).

So, as noted above, I've had KO2s for 25k miles and my experience has been OK. I'm considering moving to the TG G2 for a few reasons and would like to hear from some other folks about their experiences. I am primarily curious about first hand experience with wet traction because I've seen complaints about both.

KO2 Pros:
- Compared to 20x7" wheels on the Limited, I went to the 17" Tundra/Sequoia wheels that are 7.5" wide and then adding an AT tire created a lot more stability on road. Turns don't feel as wobbly and the truck feels much more planted.
- Been great off road, never had a problem
- Look great
- Seem durable and have worn well, even with mostly on-road driving
- Never had problems getting them balanced

KO2 Cons:
- Harsh-ish ride
- Acceleration Lag due to the weight of the tires
- My truck broke in on these tires, so I don't have a baseline for MPG where I can say I've lost some efficiency, but I am sure I did
- Some extra road noise, but not bad

Overall, it probably looks like I've had a good experience with the KO2s, and I have, but I recently rode in another 4R that had the TG G2s and I could not believe how much smoother and more compliant they were on the road, as well as quieter. They rode like any other passenger rated tire but still look great and seem to offer mild off road ability.

I started doing some research on the G2s and saw folks mention that if you go with the P-rated tire, they are puncture-prone in rock crawling situations. I also saw a few complaints about poor wet traction, though many folks experience that with KO2s as well. I also read a few threads where people mentioned their KO2s wearing out shocks prematurely because they're a harder, heavier tire. I am weary of that because X-REAS is so expensive to replace. Has anyone seen or experienced any of these issues?

I am thinking of making a switch to the G2s because I'm giving up the more dedicated trail driving and could use some extra smoothness with on-road driving. If I recall correctly, the KO2 is also like 11-12lbs heavier than the G2, so switching would yield a reduction of almost 50 lbs of unsprung weight.

More on Falkens below.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2021 Lexus GX 460 Luxury , Atomic Silver/Black @LandCruiserDNA
Previous: 1999, 2016 and 2019 4Runners

Last edited by Gecko; 08-10-2019 at 12:04 AM.
Gecko is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote