Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 09:47 PM

beklemmung is on a distinguished road

beklemmung is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefreakgc View Post
That's not a little bit of oil, the entire backside of the wheel is wet. I would advise doing the whole deal, so new bearings & inner seal along with brake pads. What happens is the gear oil passes through the non-serviceable bearings and washes out all the grease which ends up in the rear drum. The bearings will be fine at first but will fail prematurely.
You're correct, the entire back side of the wheel is wet. I was afraid (but not surprised) to hear that it didn't look good. This is the driver's side for comparison:

If the driver's side seal seems OK, should I just replace the seal only? Leave it alone? I think it's got about 12 years and 90,000 miles on it.

The diff breather seems clogged to me. It doesn't move up or down, though it will spin fairly freely. Does that sound clogged? This truck has really only seen pavement with occasional trips on gravel in the LA area, but there was quite a bit of grime on/around the breather.

I wish I had checked this sooner. I've only been driving around 30 miles/week since I got it a few months ago, but for all I know it's been leaking for the last 3-4 years / 5,000+ miles...

Thanks for advice, I really appreciate it.