Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-09-2019, 08:57 PM

RRW.Michael is on a distinguished road

RRW.Michael is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunner_87 View Post
Probably the same exact guarantee C4 Fab, SSO or Warn will give you...none. They don't have the money to repeatedly crash different 4Runners to see how the react with the bumper installed. To my knowledge the ONLY bumper that is crash tested in the ARB bumper.
This is correct, it costs tens of thousands to get products tested for DOT approval. What we're looking into doing is virtual impact testing, which doesn't give the product DOT approval, but does give us accurate information on how the bumpers will act in the event of an incident. That testing, along with our experienced engineering department, gives us the ability to create a sturdy product that will work as expected. With all metal bumpers, the sensitivity of airbag deployment is a bit more sensitive, as there's no more foam cushion behind a plastic bumper. But that's not saying small taps will set it off, I've personally pushed open gates and moved stuff around with my bumpers with no incident. In an accident, the airbags will still deploy as the sensors aren't modified or moved in any way.

As you mentioned, just about all brands aside from ARB don't do the crash testing for DOT approval, and market their bumpers as "offroad use only". We're going to go the extra step with virtual testing, to get insight on how the design does, and how to improve it to best protect the car in the case of an incident.

Edit: Some more info on the 4Runner airbag system:

Quote:
• The SRS front airbags will deploy in the event of an impact that exceeds the set threshold level (the level of force corresponding to an approximately 12 - 18 mph [20 - 30 km/h] frontal collision with a fixed wall that does not move or deform).

However, this threshold velocity will be considerably higher if the vehicle strikes an object, such as a parked vehicle and sign pole, which can move or deform on impact, or if the vehicle is involved in an underride collision (e.g. a collision in which the front of the vehicle “underrides”, or goes under, the bed of a truck etc.).

• Depending on the type of collision, it is possible that only the seat belt pretensioners will activate.
The factory bumpers have a foam pad behind the plastic bumper exterior, which prevents impacts of 5mph or slower from transferring the force of impact into the crash bar, which then could shift back and set off the airbag sensors. With an aftermarket bumper, you're pretty much replacing your crash bar with a whole bumper, so all that changes is the loss of the foam pad. So from that deduction, the difference with an aftermarket bumper would change the front airbag sensitivity from 12-18mph with a fixed non-deforming wall to 7-13mph. So if you're offroad, and smash into a rock with your front bumper, but aren't going over a certain speed, I don't think it would set off the airbags. However, I'm no airbag expert, neither am I an engineer to that extent, I just did a bit of research to educate myself.

The airbag system is really complex in these new cars, so it calculates speed and impact and makes it's own decision whether the impact is enough to need airbag deployment. Replacing the crash bar with a bumper, removes that piece of foam, which in a sub-5mph impact, would absorb the impact forces and lessen the chance of an airbag deployment. But other than that, the system still works exactly as it would with a normal bumper.

Last edited by RRW.Michael; 08-09-2019 at 09:13 PM.
RRW.Michael is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote