Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 08:18 PM

rob_dixon will become famous soon enough

rob_dixon will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimi72 View Post
To clarify. Are you saying you cleaned between your dash (inside) and windshield or between your wiper cowling (outside) and windshield?
Ha its funny you said this (dirt). Because I first noticed it after every time I went offroad on dirt trails. Because of it going away, and because I only noticed after being in dusty conditions I first believed this was dust particles rubbing against the window that eventually got swept away or “ground” down to where there was no longer an issue. However a dust spray can did not resolve the issue and then I noticed the squeaking even when the truck is clean and has not been taken off road. I also thought maybe it was temperature related, but this also does not seem to be the case – it is now common whether in 110 degree Phoenix heat, or 64 degree SF bay area chill.

It has been driving me crazy, which is how i found this post.

SO i dug further, and found the cause in the amazing forum. After sorting through a ton of posts and the fact that people define "rattle", "squeaking" and "clicking" all differently or interchangeably (come on guys, these are all very different sounds!!) I found these threads and now know it is 1 of 2 causes:
1) The fender liner (this was a 100% fix for some)
2) The windshield plastic trim piece in the corner of the windshield. (this was also a 100% for others - note the author of this solution specifically found the other (fender) didn't work and vice versa.

So is 100% one of those 2 things.

My "windshield creak/tick" and how I fixed it.

This is exactly my sound and issue, complete with Youtube video of the sound.

A squeaking/crackling noise resolved

Major Squeaking issue! (interior/A-Pillar)

I also found this buried on one form the service manuals (apparently)
T-SB-0141-10 Upper/Lower Windshield/Rear Glass Tick Noise
If a creak, tick, or rattle noise is heard at the top or bottom of the windshield, or at the top of the rear glass, the source of the noise may be the two stoppers bonded to the top of the windshield/rear glass, or the windshield retainers bonded to the lower edge of the windshield. This bulletin provides the recommended repair procedure to eliminate these types of noises from the windshield/rear glass area.

Anyhoo.....this is a very common problem. I plan to do the fender fix myself and take it in to the dealer if it does fix it.

Last edited by rob_dixon; 08-12-2019 at 08:24 PM.
rob_dixon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote